It’s not your fault; we all thought BetterDiscord was miles better than Discord, and we weren’t wrong.
The Discord enhancement project, aptly named better Discord provided features that are still unavailable on Discord, similar to what GB WhatsApp does with WhatsApp. You can change themes, use transparent themes, and hunt public servers easily.
However, BetterDiscord isn’t an official version of Discord, and that should bug you. If you can live with the official Discord app, we don’t recommend keeping this unofficial version.
For one, you can lose your Discord account for accessing it with an unofficial app. Also, BetterDiscord has seen some rough times recently, and you shouldn’t face it with them.
If you’re also fed up with BetterDiscord like we are, you can always remove it from your phone. Here are the steps required to uninstall Better Discord from your device without stress.
How to uninstall Better Discord on Windows
BetterDiscord isn’t a standalone Windows program. It’s like an extension that you can add to the existing Discord app to extend its functionalities.
Thus, uninstalling it won’t be the same as uninstalling a regular app with its own program files.
However, that isn’t to say you can’t uninstall BetterDiscord after installation. If it’s impossible, this post has no point then.
If you’re using this Discord add-on on a Windows machine, here are the steps required to uninstall it from your computer.
- Open File Explorer on your Windows 10 PC. You can press Win + R or click on ‘This PC’ from your desktop.
- Copy and paste this ‘%localappdata%\Discord\app-0.0.305\resources’ into the search bar at the top right (without the quotes). This should bring up a couple of files if you have BetterDiscord on your computer.
- From the options, select the ‘app’ folder and delete it. This folder contains all the files that hold your BetterDiscord installation. Deleting it should rid your computer of this add-on.
Now, you can restart your computer and try opening Discord. If it starts up without all the BetterDiscord enhancements, your mission is complete.
Otherwise, you should keep reading for more solutions. However, we should see how to uninstall BetterDiscord on a Mac before moving on.
How to uninstall Better Discord on a Mac
Windows computers and Macs running macOS manage program files in different ways. While you can find the ‘app’ folder by entering the search term provided earlier, that trick may not work with computers running macOS.
However, there is also a way to uninstall this program on a macOS-based computer.
If you use a Mac and you want to remove BetterDiscord, here are the required steps.
- Fire up Finder and select Applications. This should bring up a list of the apps that you’ve installed on the Mac.
- From the applications, find and select Discord. Control-click Discord, and select Move to Trash from the context menu that shows up. This should uninstall Discord from your computer.
- Open Finder again, and enter ‘App Menu’ this time.
- In the resulting folder, enter ‘~/Library’ and hit Enter. Delete any files or folder that has ‘Discord’ in their names.
- Now, run a fresh installation of Discord from the official website, sign in using your correct details, and you shouldn’t have to deal with BetterDiscord, ever again.
What happened here basically, is that you uninstalled Discord. Then, you removed every file that tied BetterDiscord to your Discord installation before reinstalling the program.
That should be effective in removing the add-on from your Discord installation until you gather the courage to install it again.
Well, Discord looks functional to me without any add-ons. I don’t see why you should crave BetterDiscord to the extent of installing it to the detriment of your computer.
How to uninstall and reinstall BetterDiscord on Windows
If you uninstalled Discord using the steps I outlined earlier, you may delete critical files that are essential to the workability of your Discord installation.
In this case, you can only fix it by removing and reinstalling the Discord program on your computer. Remember, this is the go-to way to remove BetterDiscord on a Mac.
If the first option doesn’t work or works sparingly, you can try the following steps to remove and reinstall BetterDiscord on Windows.
- Press Win + I to open the Discord app on your computer or tablet. Click on Apps to bring up a list of all the apps and programs you have on the device.
- Scroll down to find Discord, and click on it once. You should see a greyed-out option to modify the installation, and an active option to uninstall the program completely. Click on ‘Uninstall’ to complete the uninstallation.
- You may receive some warnings which you’ll need to keep clicking OK. You won’t lose your account or any information by uninstalling Discord, so you’re safe.
- Wait for your computer to complete the uninstallation and it will remove BetterDiscord alongside the program.
If you don’t have Windows 10, you can always remove programs from ‘Programs and Features’ on your Control Panel.
Hit the Windows key and type ‘Control Panel’ into the search box. Hit Enter once Control Panel shows up, and find Programs and Features. Then, find Discord and double-click it to initiate the uninstallation process.
After uninstalling Discord, you can reinstall the app to continue enjoying all of the benefits of Discord. Follow the steps below to install Discord on your computer.
- Open the Discord website to get the authentic download for your Windows or Mac computer.
- Download the appropriate one for your computer and initiate the installation process for your specific computer.
- Sign in with your Discord account after the conclusion of the installation to start using the pure version of Discord.
You can also open app.discord.com on your computer to access the web version of Discord with fewer features.
Discord has gained massive popularity in recent months and is only going to grow more popular. As we adapt it to various environments, we’ll need more customizability out of the already gorgeous chat app.
In the pursuit of better customization options, we all rushed to BetterDiscord. Now, it seems BetterDiscord isn’t really better, and we all have to run back to Discord like prodigal sons.
Here is how to uninstall Better Discord on your computer to access the vanilla version of Discord again.